[lit-ideas] Re: Philosophical Investigations online - amplification re PI

  • From: "Adriano Palma" <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 18:32:42 +0200

** Low Priority **
** Reply Requested by 4/14/2012 (Saturday) **

ah, alan's dead

From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>

>*First, I think you are getting overly animated over this issue.

I think that your view of computers is an "overly animated" one. To say "they
were also taught the rules by someone at some point", where "also" might seem
to imply you think this is true of computers and "programs" also, is to animate
the inanimate computer, which is not taught but programmed. The drift to, "In
that sense, it might not be a fundamentally different way of grasping" [that
humans and computers have], simply begs the question as to computers having any
grasp; and this cannot be inferred because 'the game of chess' pre-dates
current players and computers.

On a positive note, you did not suggest "taurine excrement" is
"well-connected", which with a name like that, especially lower-case, strikes
me as unlikely.

Donal

Please find our Email Disclaimer here: http://www.ukzn.ac.za/disclaimer/