[lit-ideas] Re: "Philosophers" by Steve Pyke

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 22:45:01 EDT

In a message dated 6/8/2009 6:51:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rpaul@xxxxxxxx writes:
one S. Pike. My favourite has to be Philippa   Foot -- and her comment is
> genial too: "Ask something to a philosopher,  and  after he or she
> talks a bit, you no longer understand  your  question".

See

_http://www.pyke-eye.com/view/phil_I_22.html_
(http://www.pyke-eye.com/view/phil_I_22.html)

>For his new series of portraits,

Actually, I don't care much for the new series of portrait. I mean, I love
S. Pyke still.

>Pyke found that the centre of power had shifted.
>In Britain , he was making fewer trips to Oxford and Cambridge,

Well, he shouldn't have been making _any_ trips to Cambridge, to start
with.

And Oxford is as Oxford does.

>and overall there were more shoots on the other side of the Atlantic .

and on the other side of the Pacific? No. Pyke is a transatlantic beast. He
 lives in Noo Yoook.

>“What's interesting now is that they seem to be a lot more younger.

That's because he should have done some attic work. I have photos of the
Philosophers Series I -- as they were VERY young. G. Ryle for example was
VERY  handsome, so was Grice, Strawson (although perhaps too brainy for my
taste) etc.  etc. In general, Oxford philosophers were handsome.

Cambridge philosophers not so much so.

-----

>What happened before was that you'd go to college;
>you'd then take a while to get a position; you wouldn't get your first
book out until you were >40, 45;

Well, Grice got his first book one year after he died.

>you wouldn't expect to have an impact for another ten years;

Wrong. Grice was making an impact --
       on his student (Strawson) -- for  surely it's illegal to try and make
            and  impact on _other_ people --
       as early as 1939.

       I don't think Grice ever cared to make  an impact
       on any people other than Strawson whom  he calls
       'my pupil'. Ain't that Gricean  love or what?

>so you're talking about people approaching 60
>before they become in any way well-known.
>This time around, a lot of people are of the younger
>generation of philosophers.

         knock knock knocking at  the door as N. Coward would put it.

>There are many more bright lights that have been
>put to me than the first time around.”

He should do  another series of DEAD philosophers: photos of Portraits of
Philosophers.

Locke, for example, in spite of that silly wig, was pretty handsome in
ways. Christ Church has a beautiful portrait of her famous 'Student'.

(F. H.) Bradley, gay as he was, does not look so 'gay' in the portrait at
Balliol.

Etc.

He should also try full frontals ("The Naked Philosopher").

Cheers,

JL S
   The Grice Club, etc.

fingertips.