[lit-ideas] Re: Philip K. Dick

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 23:20:09 EST

<<From today's Writer's Almanac. >>

I get the Writer's Almanac -- but I only get a daily poem.  How do you  get
this stuff??

<< so Dick wound up on welfare in a seedy California  neighborhood. He began
to suffer from paranoid delusions, believing the FBI and  the CIA were keeping
tabs on him.>>

Do we know they weren't?

<<Someone broke into Dick's house and  destroyed his papers. He found the
incident strangely comforting, and wrote in  his diary, "At least I'm not
paranoid.">>

I know the feeling

<<But even though he thought it was the most important experience of  his
life, he also constantly wondered if it had been real, or just some weird  drug
flashback, or a stroke.>>

Faith is nothing without doubt..... just ask Thomas.

<<He  wrote, "They ought to make it a binding clause that if you find God you
get to  keep him...>>

amen and amen

<<Philip K. Dick said, "Insanity is sometimes an appropriate  response to
reality.">>

preach it, brother

<<And, "There is no cure for birth and  death save to enjoy the interval.">>

This one I will remember and quote often.

Julie Krueger