[lit-ideas] Re: Philip K. Dick

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:39:17 EST

In a message dated 12/16/2004 8:54:45 AM Central Standard Time,
aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I wonder  if Bush had the same problem with his encounters with God.  Alcohol
is a  drug.  In Bush's case, God let him down.  Not picking on Bush, just
interesting to see people in similar situations.

Hi,
I don't understand you saying that "In Bush's case, God let him  down."

I don't see that has happened at all.  Would you elaborate,  please?

But, then again, he had Billy Graham as his liason with God during his time
of need.

Maybe that was what poor Philip Dick needed---the right liason with  God.

As to whether or not absolute good and universal beauty are real...they  are.

Lovers are not just those who are 'in love' with each other (though that  may
have been who Santayana was talking about...)--they are those who simply
care for the Other and look for and find the good.  They are those who look  at
the wonder and gift that each person are and are giving [(even the  stupid ones
<wry look>) are giving to either The World--or to the little  piece of The
World which they are responsible for [and for some it is very  small, indeed,
but that does not negate that *someone* needs to be caring for  that little
piece...]

When you look at the wonder through the eyes of a child, for example, who
sees a rabbit on the yard or a deer in a meadow--or even a kitten in a pet
shop--you can see the universal beauty and wonder and absolute good in learning

and growing and seeing something remarkable.

<g> Makes you want to go see a library program, doesn't it?  (I  hope so
actually--that is the very theme in my Behind the Books catalog column  that I
am
getting ready to send out in January to either 95,000 or 78,000 or  133,000
people...[I have marketing decisions to make in the next day or  so])

Just a thought as you get ready for a trip to your local museum so you  can
gaze on the aspects of reality that came out of someone's contemplation of
wonder (it's another way to get connected to Universal Beauty)
Marlena in Missouri