[lit-ideas] Re: Pfaff on Fukuyama's Utopia

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 13:39:12 +0000 (GMT)

I had written and might have sent:

"Well, Russell got there a long time before [may even be in his The Problems of
Philosophy]. You don't mention whether Taleb credits Russell, but I hope this
isn't Taleb not giving credit where its due."

Then googled and found "when Russell's Turkey meets the Black Swan":-
http://www.noogenesis.com/pineapple/Russell/chicken.html

So it is in TPOP but it is a chicken. And at the url, I agree with David
Deutsch's remarks that Russell's chicken does not go far enough as an argument
against induction. Popper, in Objective Knowledge, points out that there are
even counter-examples to inductivist stalwarts like "the sun always rises" [not
in the land of the 'midnight sun'] or 'bread always nourishes' [not when
there's ergotism]. Anyone who thinks that the possible existence of a 'black
swan' only waters down induction from a certainty to a probability ["just
because something is observed to happen over and over again, only means that it
probably will happen again the next time, but this is not proof that it will
for certain"], has really not thought it through - for the existence of
so-called 'confirming' examples cannot put any probability on anything unless
we can find a way to show how they put a probability on the non-existence of
any counter-example or 'disconfirming' example, and
 no one has shown how this can be done in a valid and unobjectionable way.

Donal