[lit-ideas] Re: Persuasion Redux

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 20:06:18 -0600

WO:
The disciplined man (the "phronimos")is the one who understands the
possibilities and limits of the various disciplines of inquiry and has
appropriated this understanding as a character disposition. Anybody know
anything about that?

Not me. But I can tell you this, it's my conviction that there's no such thing as an autonomous agent (one "motivated to believe and act only on reasons"). This conviction is based on reason and observation. Nothing is purely itself, or even essentially itself. Nothing acts, knows or believes anything but that which it has breathed and eaten of. To convince me of autonomy show me an autonomous baby. Until we die we suckle at the breast of our culture.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: <wokshevs@xxxxxx>