[lit-ideas] Re: Persuasion Redux

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 16:57:49 -0330

Note how our sly and mischievous gnomic/gnosic philosopher in residence returns
from the arduous labours of malt tasting in the wilds of Cape Breton to address
orthogonally the issue the rest of us have been painstakingly considering. He
deftly feigns primary attention to the quotation about logic and language, then
feints to his left while delivering a brilliant riposte on the left side.
Fine
table tennis strategy to be sure. And Guy Lafleur would as well be suitably
impressed. Observe:

Quoting Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>:

> John McCreery is not persuaded that the assumption 'if the English
> language employs a distinction there must be a logic to it' is 'valid.
> I'm not convinced that as worded the assumption makes much sense.
snip

Of course, conceptual requirements obligate RP to say that JM is not
*convinced*
of the truth or correctness of the assumption identified. The subsequent claim,
made in the first person is correct. RP would not become convinced of the truth
or correctness of that assumption by means of an offer of $3,000. Not even in
*Canadian* currency, I trust. (Eat your hearts out!) Though I'm sure he'd grant
that one can be persuaded to agree to the truth or correctness of an
assumption, claim, implication or inference, from an appreciation of cold,
hard, Canadian currency.

Returning to a now very dark duck honey and garlic glaze,

Walter O.