[lit-ideas] Re: Permission to read Heidegger

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 13:23:19 -0600

Thanks for posting this, Chris.  I am not a philosopher, obviously, but I
have read (in translation) S&Z and several of H's essays and I was amazed
to find myself in at least "poetic" agreement with H.  But the Nazi
business disturbed me deeply.  Had he been a wonderful poet or an artist
whose works spoke to me, I would have no trouble separating his art from
his person.  In one sense I insist on doing that.  Philosophy, though,
seems to me to have a kind of "moral element" attached to it -- as if, in a
way of speaking, it "preaches" about what it means to be a human being and
urges us to own up to that.  But even if my feelings about the nature of
philosophy are right -- and I doubt that they are -- it must be remembered
that even the Devil can preach scripture -- it's the scripture that
matters, not the preacher.  I have not begun to read Heidegger  or to
contemplate his sermons sufficiently enough to pass judgment on what he
preaches.