[lit-ideas] Pelops Fights Back

  • From: jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 08:58:26 -0500

The Land of Pelops
The Forgotten Colony

Thanks to L. K. Helm for his update on books. The makes three points. Sorry if
my replies are not very inspired, or informational, but it keeps the
conversation going, I suppose. I'm particularly interested in learning more
about the Peloponnesian War that would make it have some 'universal' appeal
that it's destroyed in most ears when you mention 'Peloponnese' (e.g. Geary,
"Pelopo-WHAT?" Speak Christian!"; or Britney Spears, "You speak of the
Peloponnese but it sounds too remote to me to even want to think about it").

(1)

"I'm interested in your description of the books you bought as "rather
expensive."  Through Amazon.com we can get the former for $19.77 new or
$12.28 used and the latter for $12.24 new or $7.64 used.    I would be
tempted to think that books cost more in Argentina, but you spoke of how you
can by Loebs for $5.00 and I know of no place I can get a Loeb that cheaply
here; so that can't be the case."

--- Exactly. Perhaps I meant _expansive_. I always feel that when I buy a
first-hand book I could get it half-price second-hand, but why the bother,
sometimes I ask. I thought the books were _over-rated_ rather than? 'expansive'
even. The Penguin is a think paperback thing, that, if it were not for it being
required in some course, I would imagine, it would sell for much less. The
Oxford history is pretentious at it can be. It is what I call a 'polyphonic'
book, meaning, you don't know what you're reading. Give me GROTE anyday! In the
Oxford history which isn't really a history, you have rather superficial
chapters on superficial aspects, including 'philosophy'! No war narrative at
all. It's this new trend of 'social history'. I had read that the "Oxford
History of the Classical World" was profusely illustrated, but this ain't. It's
mainly black and white, and the wrong photos. Perhaps there is an Oxford
COMPANION to the Classical World which is the one which is lavishly illu
 strated, etc. I still _can_ get Loebs for $5, but the odd exception, and most
go for $10, as you say.

(2)

"I acquired all four volumes of Kagan's scholarly work on the Peloponnesian
War as well as his one volume The Peloponnesian War.  While the latter is
intended for popular consumption (all though I can't imagine what that would
be) it is purported to contain a few tidbits not in his 4 volume work.  I
also acquired Barry Strauss' The Battle of Salamis.  At present I'm reading
the section on World War One from On the Origins of War by Kagan.  However
I've gotten bogged down in some personal matters and am not racing ahead."

---- Interesting. Of course I learned more about Salamis from the Penguin
atlas. Salamis is both the name of the island and its capital. The aerial
photos are too good to be true! I'm not familiar with that area, though, and I
still would like to know where the Peloponnese really _Begins_. Would Corinth
be _not_ part of it? I hope not. I recently did some little search on PELOPS
and POSEIDON (yes, the latter favoured the former), and it's said that Pelops
was the 'spiritual' father of PELOPonnese, but I haven't done much research as
to where his bones are. It's all in OLYMPIA, mainly, which IS Peloponnese. It's
nothing crucial, and I suppose counting the regions will do. There is this
distinction between LACONIA (as a bigger region in Peloponnese) and
LACAEDAIMONIA, being the narrower area founded by King Lacaedaimon around
"Sparta" town. While R. Paul did say that we wouldn't be studying the Classics
if it were not for Athens, I feel that 75% of classicists -- lay or amateur
 , for pros don't count, and you have to love the thing? -- just joke -- have
an attraction for the Peloponnese and would not interested in Classical Studies
if it were not for the Peloponnese.

It strikes me as silly that people living in the Peloponnese would cross the
water (or would they go via the strait) to honour a statue in Delphi! I mean,
they had their own temples and shrines in the 'peninsula', so why bother
crossing. It reminds me of Henry VIII. He thought a road to Rome would be too
long and decided to cut links with the silly Poperies altogether -- and hence
C. of E. and non-sissified Presbytereans. I know quite a bit about Anglicans.
Perhaps Helm can explain us if the Presbyterians consider themselves as -- qua
Kirk of Scotland -- an 'offspring' of C. of E! :-). All I know, from "Chariots
of Fire" is that a Presbyterian will do things that an Anglican won't. E.g.
care if it's Sunday and not play football.

(3)

"Some of what you say about the Falklands war doesn't match my recollection.
I have a book describing that war up on a pot-shelf, but I haven't been
ambitious enough to get a ladder and retrieve it; so I won't say what I
think I remember lest you disagree with me and force me to climb up there,
or worse, buy a later history of that war from Amazon.com."

Well, I suppose my source will be, when I get my hands to the relevant chapter,
this rather boring book by Andrew Graham Yooll, "The Forgotten Colony". I won't
expect it's easily available, as it's published by a minor publisher in Buenos
Aires that goes by the silly name of LOLA (Literature of Latin America),
founded by one Colin Sharp. The edition I will try and follow is the SECOND
one, that covers the Falklands Land. What I did like about the chapter is the
background behind it -- when the war wasn't 'declared'; the correspondence
between members of the Anglo-Argentine community and Thatcher as to whether War
could be avoided; the negative reply or mere ignorance by the Iron Lady; etc. I
have a couple of things about battle-chronology, but I'll also concentrate on
the physical side to it, as I've never seen any island which looks more
indented than that. There's some literature references too as the silly parody
written by S. Berkoff, "Sink the Belgrano!", which is mock-h
 eroic, but makes you vomit, rather.

Cheers,

J. L.
??? Buenos Aires, Argentina