[lit-ideas] Re: Peak Oil - More disturbing than OBL

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 04:18:45 -0400

Simon: I'm glad you understand the issues, but considering you do, I'm perplexed why you are continuing to talk about Iran's WMD as if that was the principal factor in why the Bush Administration is moving towards an invasion.

Eric: The US is NOT considering an invasion. They are contemplating a range of tactical sorties designed to slow or halt Iran's nuclear program. No troops marching into Iran. For the US, Iranian nukes would cause major problems, from the terrorist threat to Saudi Arabia's going nuclear.

Iranian oil is not a factor here. Iran has gas and oil deals with other nations (Russia and China in particular). Our bombing of Iran's nuke facilities will not encourage them to make new deals with us. Instead it will make Iran's pro-Western population hate us, and the Russians and Chinese will sell them what they need to rebuild.

Iran's nuclear program is the main factor here. The Nuke factor may impinge on Oil (the Saudis will insist on going nuclear to counter Iran's nuclear program) but it's really all about the Mullah-thugs getting the bomb.