[lit-ideas] Re: Paying taxes for months on end

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 23:21:42 +0100

Tuesday, May 24, 2005, 8:51:27 PM, Brian wrote:

B> On 5/24/05, Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> B>  and I think
>> B> I'd call the health care system itself a boondoggle.  The debacle of
>> B> treating health care as a right.
>>=20
>> 1. your second sentence is a non sequitur 2. I'd say health care is a
>> right, it is also in the interests of a nation (and its entrepreneurs)
>> to provide it just as it is in the interests of a nation (etc.) to provid=
>> education (see the economic literature on "human capital")

B> Hi Judy, long time.

Hello Brian, yes it is a long time, isn't it?

B>  To your (1) I say you're wrong.  In this country
B> we've gone mad with invented rights.

I meant it didn't seem to me to connect with "health system...
boondoggle". Anyway... what rights would you say have been invented
over there?

B>   To (2) I ask, what kind of
B> right?  An objective human right (something U.S. Framers like to call
B> an "inalienable" right, endowed by the Creator), a political right
B> that all good governments would honor, a legal right, but based in
B> what?  I agree health care and education are in the nation's interest
B> but we have different ideas on what that means.

I agree that the fact that health care and education are in the
national interest doesn't make them rights, I should have separated my
points.  As to "what kind of right", I haven't any adequate answer but
then I don't think there is one: I think people either subscribe to
the notion of human rights and then to certain rights or they don't.
I imagine the problem for you in the
Framers' statement is "and the pursuit of happiness" -- for why, if
people have liberty, is there any need to add that? I can see why,
but, would think you might not..
(I add that I do know these words aren't in the Constition.)

B>  The U.S. is
B> constitutionally barred from using the federal government for these
B> purposes, which is why I oppose federalized health care and support
B> the abolishment of the Department of Education.

By which part of the Constitution?

B> There isn't much I can say about this.  We all have our own experiences.

Yes we do.

--

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx