[lit-ideas] Re: Paying taxes for months on end

  • From: Brian <cabrian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 14:51:27 -0500

On 5/24/05, Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> B>  and I think
> B> I'd call the health care system itself a boondoggle.  The debacle of
> B> treating health care as a right.
>=20
> 1. your second sentence is a non sequitur 2. I'd say health care is a
> right, it is also in the interests of a nation (and its entrepreneurs)
> to provide it just as it is in the interests of a nation (etc.) to provid=
> education (see the economic literature on "human capital")

Hi Judy, long time.  To your (1) I say you're wrong.  In this country
we've gone mad with invented rights.  To (2) I ask, what kind of
right?  An objective human right (something U.S. Framers like to call
an "inalienable" right, endowed by the Creator), a political right
that all good governments would honor, a legal right, but based in
what?  I agree health care and education are in the nation's interest
but we have different ideas on what that means.  The U.S. is
constitutionally barred from using the federal government for these
purposes, which is why I oppose federalized health care and support
the abolishment of the Department of Education.

> >>   (Canadian health cards, by the way,
> >> fetch a pretty penny on your side of the border.)
>=20
> B> Really?  I can't imagine why.
>=20
>=20
> I know people in the US who could tell you why.  Just today I came
> across the case of a man who lost his job when a factory closed and
> pays $900 a month for a basic health insurance policy *and* $500 a
> month for medication for his wife, who has a rare brain disease. The
> story implied that if he didn't have that insurance, she'd be dead.
>=20
> I told a man in New York some horror stories about the NHS here. He
> has *very* good medical cover that comes with his job. He told me
> about a few things that had happened there then said "Yes, I heard you
> system was as bad as ours, now".

There isn't much I can say about this.  We all have our own experiences.

~Brian~