[lit-ideas] Re: Paying taxes for months on end

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 21:57:58 EDT

Okay.  We obviously need an agreed-upon definition of "power".   The second
time my now-husband came to visit me at the house, I was trying with  all my
100 pound might to shove a 200 pound dog house across the yard to install  a
fence.  After finishing doubling over with laughter, he moved it for  me.  To
this day, when I get cocky about something I think I can do by  myself he
simply
says "doghouse".  I had the right to move that dog  house.  I did not have the
power.  I did not have the ability.   Mostly I have been talking about
physical power but that's only because it's  cleaner to deal with.  I have the
power
to make my husband's life  miserable.  Unless he's been a beast, I do not
have the right.  How  can this be so complicated??

Julie Krueger
too simplistic, I guess
========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Paying taxes for
months on end  Date: 6/7/05 6:36:54 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_robert.paul@xxxxxxxxx (mailto:robert.paul@xxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

> So would  it be fair to say that the police had the power to do that which
>  they had not the right to do?

Julie,

Are you OK? It would be 'fair  to say' that the police had the power to
do that which they had no right to  do only if 'power' is understood as
'capacity,' or 'ability,' not if 'power'  is understood as something like
'authority,' 'authorization,' or  'permission.'

Still, may I have this dance?

Robert  Paul