[lit-ideas] Re: Paying taxes for months on end

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 15:31:39 -0700

JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

> So, Robert, to beat a dead horse;  did the officers have the power to  use
> excessive force?  Did they have the right to use excessive force?

I'm not sure why this question is directed at me. However (1) if they'd
been convicted of using excessive force, obviously they would have had,
at least in the eyes of the jury, the power, i.e., the ability to use
it. (2) 'Excessive force' is by definition too much force, or
unnecessary force, so one would have to conclude that in using it, the
police were acting illegally. In that sense, the police never have the
right to use excessive force, for it is, by definition, a crime.

Robert Paul