[lit-ideas] Re: Paying taxes for months on end

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 23:21:57 EDT

Remember Rodney King?  I believe the officers in question were  ultimately
found innocent but let's imagine that they had mercilessly beaten  Rodney when
he had ceased to resist.  They had every power to do  that.  They had
absolutely no right to do that. I've been wading through  the seemingly endless
series
of posts on this topic and I cannot begin to  understand how there can be no
semantic difference between "power" and  "right".  Guess I'm just having a
really dense day.

Julie Krueger
========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Paying taxes for
months on end  Date: 5/28/05 2:39:25 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_andreas@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "I 'have the power to' vote and I have the  right to vote."
>
> The two are semantically equivalent.

Yes,  these are equivalent when "power" is meant as "empowered", i.e.,
authorized.  Having the
right to do something is also the same as being empowered to do  something.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com