[lit-ideas] Re: Paying taxes for months on end

  • From: John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 13:32:31 -0500

Living in Chicago, I'm more familiar with the reverse of your example:
Mayor Daley the elder made sure that there were LOTS of people who had
the POWER to vote but did NOT have the right to vote!
Many of them lived outside the city; many voted twice or more.  Hence
the slogan in Chicago: "Vote early and vote often!"

Judy Evans wrote:

>Saturday, May 28, 2005, 2:13:21 PM, Phil Enns wrote:
>

>JE> "I 'have the power to' vote and I have the right to vote."
>

>>The two are semantically equivalent.  That is, one's right to vote is
>>nothing more than the recognition by government that one can act to> vote.
>>

>I suppose this is my fault: I should have explained what I meant by
>"power to vote", I didn't because it would have taken too long. I
>haven't got the time to do it properly at the moment, so let me simply say that
>there are people who have the right to vote (in that they belong to
>the category of people entitled to vote and are listed on the
>electoral register) who are unable to vote for reasons of physical
>disability combined with social isolation etc.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be
explained by incompetence and ignorance."
John Wager               johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx
                           Forest Park, IL USA