[lit-ideas] Pausanias

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 12:23:06 -0800

JL:

This message of yours only just appeared in my inbox this morning.  I have
occasionally had that same problem: posts appearing long after I posted
them, but this may be a record.

You mention Pausanias.  He is an interesting fellow.  Although not built
along the heroic lines of Leonidas, he apparently thought he was, and that
got him into trouble.  Being a great general did not garner him the Spartan
esteem he thought he deserved.  The Spartans valued a great hero who proved
himself on the field of battle above that of a great general who led his
armies to success in a war.

The actual crime that caused him to ?be walled up in the temple of Athena of
the Brazen house and starved to death? was intriguing with the Helots, the
Spartan slaves.  Later, after Pausanias? death, and the Spartans were
running low on warrior-citizens, they did grant Helots ?a conditional form
of freedom in return for military service.

?Only later, after recourse to the Delphic Oracle, was Pausanias
posthumously rehabilitated and given an unprecedented token of honour in the
form of two bronze commemorative statues.  Much later still his name was
linked with that of Leonidas as recipient of annual games held in their
joint honour.?

Lawrence