[lit-ideas] Re: Patty Duke & The Apriori [part 2of 2]

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 08:36:01 +0900

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 2:51 AM, Walter C. Okshevsky <wokshevs@xxxxxx>wrote:

> Please vide specific replies below ---------->

Thanks, Walter

> Yes, the anti-Cartesian Heideggerian metaphysics does indeed countenance
> the
> view that "interaction defines the group." Of course, there is the small
> matter
> as to the criteria that those inside and outside the group are using to
> make
> those attributions. If the criteria are cogent, they must allow for the
> possibility of being mistaken. Otherwise, any interpretation of the rule
> you know the rest of this Witterian myth.

No question about that. There is also the indelicate matter of what happens
when those inside and those outside the group disagree. Not a big deal,
perhaps, if the disagreement is only a matter of costume or cuisine.  If
there is, as C. Wright Mills put it, an irreconcilable difference between
their vocabularies of motive, the only way to resolve a dispute will be
force.  Thus, the subject matter of all sorts of post-colonial and subaltern
studies and the the bone in the throat of multiculturalism.

> --------> Schutz is one of the most underrated sociologists ever. The
> intricacies and systematic rigour of his analyses put Husserl at his peak
> shame.

Glad to hear this. Have just ordered a copy of *Phenomenology of the Social
World* in an effort to improve my education. I may be turning to you for
advice as I struggle through it.

John

--
John McCreery