[lit-ideas] Re: Patty Duke & The Apriori

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, karltrogge@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 19:11:49 -0230

Quoting karltrogge@xxxxxxxx:

> On 7-Jul-09, at 8:00 PM, Ursula Stange wrote:
>
> > Reminds me of Patty Duke in that Helen Keller story...her
> > breakthrough came because of her grasp (can you grasp water?)  that
> > water and the word water were the same.  Well, not exactly, but
> > something about this reminded me.
> > Ursula
> > sitting between the falling water outside her window and the word
> > water on her screen...
>
> Or that at least there was some sort of significant interplay between
> 'water' (not the English word but the ASL word) and the phenomena
> experienced when her heand was held under a running spout.
> >
> > palma wrote:
> >>
> >> this is purely a remark. some people apparently are strangely
> >> obsessed by a word fetish, i.e. a question about water turns out to
> >> be a question about the English word "water". The whole thing is
> >> funny since water is not composed by letters, and "water" is not
> >> made of hydrogen, etc. ....
>
> Isn't this where we should be turning to the PHILOSOPHICAL
> INVESTIGATIONS now?
>
> Karl Trogge
> Hamburg

Patty Duke? How OLD are people on this list anyway? I can barely recall Farrah
Fawcett ...

That "connection" between the ASL "water" and that thing pouring over her
"heand" [whatever] is a very interesting phenomenon philosophically. Can one
really learn that connection simply on the basis of experience? Surely Helen
had been exposed to the association between the two countless times. And yet
she never grasped the *connection* between the two until that fateful moment.
Since our experience of the world would seem to presuppose a grasp of reference
(between word and world), that understanding cannot itself be the result of
such
experience. So what did Helen actually realize in that fateful moment? Was it
something about the world? Or was it something about the apriori structure of
the human mind? YOU decide. (Who was it that said that all learning is
recollection?)

Walter O
MUN