[lit-ideas] Re: Parley P. Pratt, in Danish

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 13:54:45 -0230

Quoting Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>:

> On 11/2/11 10:44 PM, David Ritchie wrote:
> >
> > VOICE OF WARNING
> > by Parley P Pratt
> > 1876
> >

> 1876---? I swear I used to listen to him on the radio when I was growing
> up. Godlike voice, he had. Very persuasive.
>
> Robert Paul

Yes, but as Habermas and Socrates are wont to ask, was he *convincing*?  After
all, Richard Rorty, to take but one example, is often quite persuasive (i.e.,
seductive/appealing/alluring/hopeful/viscerally compelling/sentimentally
imbued/erotically charged) but almost never convincing on rational grounds.

(I had a French-Canadian girlfriend like that in Montreal in the late 70s.
Journalism student. Needless to say, it didn't last long. Not that there's
anything wrong in being a journalism student ....)

Walter Okshevsky
MUN

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2011.php