[lit-ideas] Re: Paranoid with my Pentax in the morning

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 11:41:29 +0100 (BST)

There aren't any Scientologists here, really, around 2,000 in the whole UK.
And they aren't tax-exempt here. But it seems you can't keep them down, I've
just found a 2008 story about a teenager being charged under the Public Order
Act for calling them a cult,  charged by this force (City, not Met)

The City of London police came under fire two years ago when it
emerged that more than 20 officers, ranging from constable to chief
superintendent, had accepted gifts worth thousands of pounds from the
Church of Scientology.The City of London Chief Superintendent,
Kevin Hurley, praised Scientology for "raising the spiritual wealth of
society" during the opening
of its headquarters in 2006. Last
 year a video praising Scientology emerged featuring Ken Stewart,
another of the City of London's chief superintendents, although he is
not a member of the group.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/may/20/1

(The Crown Prosecution Service made them drop the case.)

Judy Evans, Cardiff