[lit-ideas] Re: Palestine and Hamas

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 07:36:33 -0800

The Guardian article Omar posted,
http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1698420,00.html, is very
interesting.  Each time I hear something from Hamas I remember Andre Nusse's
argument that Hamas is capable of compromise.  There isn't much compromise
in Khalid Mish'al's article - but perhaps a smidgeon.

Can an Islamist organization give up its militancy for political gain?  This
was a fear of Ruhollah Khomeini.  That is why when he was at the top of his
game he rejected the idea of endorsing one particular Islamist organization.
He thought that if one got too large it might compromise.  He thought the
Muslim Brothers in Egypt had traded Islamist principle for political gain.

Khomeini feared it and so believed it could happen, but from our perspective
can we agree with Nusse and think the possibility of Hamas comprise
credible?

I am tempted to say "no," but since they are already in power it isn't going
to hurt to pursue a truce to either be surprised in the discovery that they
are willing to compromise, or have our Western cynicism confirmed once
again.

Of course if they aren't willing to give up their terrorist activities
during this truce then it will never be ratified.  It will be very
interesting to see how this plays out.

Another aspect of the current situation that is interesting is that Hamas
has moved from a para-national to a national force.  If they turn Palestine
into an Islamist state in the manner of the Taliban in Afghanistan then they
enter a new realm and will be subjecting Palestine to new risks.

Lawrence