[lit-ideas] Re: Pacifistic expeditions in the Garden

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 21:50:27 -0500

Lawrence Helm wrote:

. . . . while I don't blame those who aren't equipped to be Marines I notice that I am not granted the same consideration. The people I debate, typically, don't want me to be a Marine. I haven't made a principle out of this situation. I believe some people are equipped to be soldiers and some are not, but my conversational opponents insist that no one should be a soldier. They want to make a principle which may at least in part be based upon their disinclination to fight in a war. But even if their principle is entirely disinterested, it is detrimental to the well-being of our country - to any country.

I usually react when a debate reaches that point, for I firmly believe that when any nation produces an inadequate number of young people willing to defend it, it will fall. At least that used to be the case when every nation was on its own. It is part of the realpolitik argument of Hans Morgenthau. Power is the irresistible element in Foreign Affairs. Nations will exercise as much as they are able. I don't utterly agree with Morgenthau, but the U.S. hasn't exercised as much power as it is able to. I'm sure we would have no difficulty conquering Canada, for example, if we had a mind to (apologies to Paul Stone), but it is preposterous to think we would ever be of such a mind. Our impetus is for nations to be free, to be Liberal Democracies, as we are - not to conquer them in the old-fashioned British Empire sort of way.

Soldiers fight (and kill, and die) as agents of citizens. If there is something wrong with a soldier (or marine) fighting, there is something wrong with a citizen asking a soldier (or marine) to fight for them. Of course a citizen does not have to participate in the government of a society, or benefit from that government, but then they're hardly citizens.

It doesn't make much difference what war we're talking about, because no government, no matter how honest and democratic and well-run and informed, can avoid making some military mistakes. Innocent people will die in war, because citizens ask soldiers to fight. I was completely against the invasion of Iraq, and I still am, but I recognize that in a democratic government I don't get to have the final say, no matter how much I know I'm right; I have to live with the compromises of a democracy. The price of this is the death of innocent civilians, and the death of innocent soldiers. It's a high price, but I don't know any way one can live in a democracy without paying that price.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
Lisle, IL, USA