[lit-ideas] Re: PS3

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 12:11:02 EST

Hey!  That's *Fox* news.  I'm not so sure, though....  I use  eBay quite a
bit (selling and buying) and they have pretty strict rules and  regulations
about, say, signing on under a different user name and bidding  against
yourself
to raise the price.  eBay does monitor that sort of thing  and will stop
allowing the seller to post items.  A few days ago eBay put  out a message to
buyer
& sellers' inboxes saying that because of the  opportunity for abuse, they
were not going to allow postings of the PS3.  A  few days later, apparently
they
recanted -- a bunch of them have been put up for  bid.  The $250,000 is the
most egregious, but there are several starting  bids of $20,000 to $40,000, and
then on down from that.  Considering the  exorbitant bidding price I would
think eBay would be keeping a pretty close eye  on things.  By the way, there's
also a "buy it now" option for some  postings (the seller has to accumulate x
number of sales with good ratings  before being allowed to do that), and some
of *those* prices (the buy it now is  typically higher than the bidding....as
in, if you don't want to play the bid  game and just really want the item this
is what you have to shell out) are  pretty stiff....$50,000, etc.

But I'm saying -- your kid wants a PS3 for Christmas?  Give them a  little
gift card saying "As soon as the retail stores are restocked with the  PS3,
you've got one!".  Tramplings, gunshots .... people waiting in line  for *six
days
& nights* for a GAME?!

Guess I'm just an old fogy....and lucky my daughter is only lobbying for an
iPod.  (Hey Andreas or any other tech guru -- how does an iPod compare in
terms of what it can do to something like Fusit or a cell phone that can also
store and play music?).

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: PS3  Date:
11/19/2006 10:47:28 A.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sounds like a fake bid to me.  Here's the  story I found (I
couldn't
find anything at ebay.com but perhaps I don't  know how to
use the  site)

Judy  Evans, Cardiff