[lit-ideas] Re: POETRY SCHOETRY

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 10:37:15 -0500

Hi, Julie,

I wouldn't presume to categorize them.  I've never read any of Sharon Olds
or Celan, and only a few poems of Neruda and Paz.  The others you list I'm
pretty familiar with.  I like especially e.e. cummings, Mary Oliver and
Sexton.  Eliot apparently still sits at the right hand of God -- I once
showered adoration on him, but find him rather tendentious and tedious now.
As to my categories, they're obviously without any merit.  44 years ago when
I was at S F State, American poets were categorized as West Coast, East
Coast or Beat.  To me now the most interesting differences in American
poetry are the themes -- personal, sociological, philosophical.  There's one
hell of a big difference between a poem by Mary Oliver and one by John
Ashbery.  But so what.  There should be a big difference.

And etc.

Mike Geary
Memphis