[lit-ideas] Re: Oz

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 08:33:52 EDT

Andreas Ramos writes:

>>Oz has always been in Australia. Since
>>the late 70s, at least.

McCreery comments:

>Long before that it was Frank L. Baum's Land of Oz,
>described an celebrated in a series of books, the Judy
>Garland movie, and the Broadway adaptation,
>The Wiz.

I think Andreas is trying to say that Australia has been, since the late
70s, that technicolor land 'over the rainbow', where bluebirds fly, etc --  and
where 'pommies' appear systematically to whinge (for some reason).

Interestingly, Baum's _Oz_ antedates, of course, the first ('Great War')  use
of "Oz" to mean "Australia". Apparently, Bauman got the inspiration for  the
name of that dreamland from a file in his office, that covered the  letters
O-Z. No mention of that in the OED, nor a quote featuring "Oz" as  per Baum's
creation. Sad.

There is a current Broadway hit, "The boy from Oz", which plays on the
ambiguity (or heteronymy, as I prefer), since it portrays the life of
Australian
entertainer Peter Allen -- ex Mr. Minnelli, etc., and author of "Everything old
 is new again". He is played by an Australian actor, too, making the
ambiguity a  triguity.

Cheers,

JL