[lit-ideas] Over-Implicature

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 15:31:34 EST

In a message dated 1/1/2010 1:14:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Lawrence:

>The Oversoul isn't  God....

Emerson (who coined the word Oversoul) wrote: "That Unity, that  OVER-SOUL,
within every man's particular being is contained and made with  all other;

----

I haven't been following this thread too closely.  But hey, this is a good
polemic.

When my mother opens her mouth and says words like "very" or, never  mind,
"too", I KNOW she is in one of her negative moods.

I have very SELDOM heard someone used "too" positively:

   "You're too f-cking nice", perhaps

or

   "Too true".

"Very", to me, is equally 'negative': "Her dress was _very_nice".

Now, 'over' possibly has 'negative' connotations too.

   She overindulged him
   He overestimated her.
   He's an overman (Nietzsche)
     Emerson: "That Unity, that OVER-SOUL,
    within every man's particular being is contained and  made with all
other."

Philosophers have forever tried to annhiliate the pre-Platonic myth that
the soul is immortal. "Immoral, maybe -- writes Aristotle -- but immortal?
Bullshit!"

In Aspects of Reason Grice admits that the soul _is_ possibly immortal:
"Hey, you cut the head of a chicken, and she keeps on running for a while: if
that's not a proof that the soul is immortal, I don't know what is" --
googlebooks.

But the _over-soul_, sic hyphenated too? Give me a break!

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza
  The Swimming-Pool Library
    The Villa Speranza