[lit-ideas] Re: Outsourcing shinannigans

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 07:59:18 -0600

Julie Krueger wrote:

. . . .Hey -- if you live in another country and English is your second language, fine by me. But why pretend?

Recently I was reading an article that said if one defined "standard" English as "the English that is most commonly spoken," then the Indian version is currently the "standard" by which we should judge English. There are FAR more speakers of English that sound like the help desk person. You are no longer speaking "standard" English. And in 10 years, neither will the Indians; by then, the way the Chinese speak English will be the "standard." We've already seen this happen, of course, when American English supplanted English English, and became the kind of English that most Indians and Chinese learn. Now it's the Americans turn to move out of the way of English progress. . . .

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager                john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                  Lisle, IL, USA