[lit-ideas] Our Lord Don Quixote

  • From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 20:47:43 -0700

Feeling guilty about justifying the writing about history on Lit-Ideas, despite what I wrote previously, I returned to literature, and found an article by Simon Leys (from the June 11, 1998 issue of the NYROB), "The Imitation of Our Lord Don Quixote."  I got only a short way before running across a Cervantes quote that could perhaps apply to many of us today, but probably only to me:

"This gentleman in the times when he had nothing to do -- as was the case for most of the year -- gave himself to the reading of books of knight errantry; which he loved and enjoyed so much that he almost entirely forgot his hunting, and even the care of his estate.  So odd and foolish, indeed, did he grow on this subject that he sold many acres of cornland to buy these books of chivalry to read. . . [In the end], he so buried himself in his books that he spent the nights reading from twilight till daybreak and the days from dawn till dark; and so from little sleep and much reading, his brain dried up and he lost his wits."

Change but a few words here and there, and there I am . . . however dry my brain, and the number of wits lost so far may be beyond modern medical science to determine -- at least I have had no reason to admire their acumen up until now. I might think that once the weather becomes cooler and I take my dogs and a camera, climb into my ancient Jeep and go a-hiking my brain will become lubricated and some of my wits restored, but there in the midst of Simon Leys article is a drawing of Don Quixote, riding Rosinante on a quest, his lance held high . . . .

Lawrence