[lit-ideas] "Our Father" And Dr. Brodie's Dilemma

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 17:42:55 EDT

In a message dated 6/21/2009 5:16:13 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I cried.  Remembering  my father
and how I resented the fact that he
never shared the wisdom
that would make me
like him.

----

J. L. Borges, who sort of hated his father, recalls, in "Dr. Brodie's
Report", the dilemma of Dr. Brodie, a Scots missionary spreading the Gospel in
Tierra del Fuego.

  "These natives, -- [he was going to translate "The Lord's Prayer",  which
   starts, "Our Father..."] don't have a notion of 'father', or
'fatherhood';
   'motherhood' yes, because it's _visual_. But fathers are  distant --
their
   spermatic achievement was 9 months before the conception, and  these
   natives don't have such a long attention span."

J. L. S.
   Buenos Aires, Argentina
fingertips.