[lit-ideas] Re: Ought we to do something about Iran?

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 18:36:16 +0000 (GMT)

--- Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I began a response to Teemu mentioning that I agreed
> with his note except
> for a few minor quibbles, but then deleted those
> quibbles as possibly
> detracting from his note; which I didn't want to do,
> and then you bring up
> one of them.

Yes -- it happens...

> Well, sure, it's a shame the SC doesn't work any
> more.

You mean it won't do what you want?

The UN is difficult because it's an inclusive
organization, as it should be; that leads to problems
like the appointment of the Head of State of DR Congo
to, er, whatever...

 When it was begun it
> consisted of the victorious allies

plus Taiwan?

  Also,
> France decided under De
> Gaul that Europe with France at its head should
> counter the U.S.
> economically and militarily.  They were declaring
> the U.S. their de facto
> enemy.

I was never a fan of De Gaulle -- France under him was
a police state: see the relevant chapter in Jack
Hayward's _One and Indivisible French Republic_ -- but
I think you exaggerate.  (But perhaps not: De Gaulle
certainly bore a grudge against the US and UK.)

 While the U.S. didn't take this too
> seriously, the French opposition
> to a war the U.S. deemed part of a campaign vital to
> its defense was deemed
> intolerable.

and the US has every right to deem something
"intolerable", however stupid their view may be and
however foolishly they show it ("freedom fries"
indeed!); however, it behoves the most powerful nation
on earth to show its displeasure less unpleasantly.

> The Russians too were not above thwarting the wishes
> of its old enemy.

dear me

> Complicating a quick conclusion is the fact that
> France and Russia were
> benefiting from the Oil for Food program in major
> ways - not all of them
> public.

I thought Australia was the largest single benefactor

Judy Evans, Cardiff

Yahoo! Photos ? NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo
http://uk.photos.yahoo.com