[lit-ideas] Re: Ought we to do something about Iran?

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:51:03 +0900

Questions for those advocating that "we do something about Iran"?
What, precisely? And How?

Food for thought may include the following from the CIA World Fact
Book (available on line).

Iraq vs. Iran
Land area: 437,072 sq km vs 1,648,000 sq km
Population: 26,074,906 vs 68,017,860
Oil Production: 2.03 million barrels/day vs. 4.02 million barrels/day

Add that most of the fighting force of the US Army is tied up in Iraq
and is, by many accounts, including a recent Pentagon sponsored study,
strained to the breaking point, recruiting numbers are down and the
draft political suicide.

Imagine, plausibly enough, that US air power can do serious harm to
Iran but also include the fact that no war in human history except the
Kosovo affair was been won by aerial bombardment alone.

Count on the fact that young Iranians, even those who may be opposed
to the current regime, will rally to their country's defense if we
attack it (just like Americans would if the USA were attacked).

OK, guys, I ask you again. What? and How? Please be specific.

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.