[lit-ideas] Re: Ought we to do something about Iran?

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 20:47:16 -0600

Even if you are right about proliferation being unstoppable, would you not want to act now to stop it?

Yes, Eric, but the way that I would act is what you ridicule. The only hope for the long term is for all nations to give up all nuclear weapons. Only a world wide government could police that. As currently constructed the UN certainly couldn't, but it could with changes. Those changes must come through the recognition of what the stakes are if we fail to stop proliferation. Work to secure a meaningful United Nations if you're serious about stopping nuclear proliferation. The tactics outlined by Lawrence's post will only encourage proliferation.

Mike Geary
Memphis