[lit-ideas] "Otiose But True"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 13:58:00 EDT

In a message dated 6/22/2009 1:47:10 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
pastone@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Recall I. A.  Richards:

I wish I could, but he's been defective for so long, the damage  is already
done.

"Sometimes it is held that whatever is redundant or  otiose,
whatever is not required, although not obstructive or disruptive,
is also false." (Principles of Literary Criticism).

--

Well, _try_. Because this *is* a good quote, unburied by yours truly from
the dusty pages of the OED, under 'otiose'.

Peter Winch says something similar in Royal Institute of Philosophy Series,
 and of course it has been the achievement of a lifetime for H. P. Grice:
"This  is otiose/misleading/odd _but_ true".

Cheers,

JL Speranza
   Anti-Utilitarian

grill. (http://food.aol.com/grilling?ncid=emlcntusfood00000004)