[lit-ideas] Orphan Often, etc.

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 13:43:42 EDT

In a message dated 5/27/2004 7:25:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Explanatory notes, pinned to an aphoristic post:
> When you say,  "Orphan," do you mean child without parents, or frequently?
> And do you  say child without parents frequently, that is do you say orphan
>  often?
Ref to "Pirates of Penzance."
Worth re-quoting. In ps. -- Cheers,
JL
---

_http://members.tripod.com/~GOPcapitalist/themes2.html_
(http://members.tripod.com/~GOPcapitalist/themes2.html)
GENERAL STANLEY:  Tell me, have you ever known what it is to be an
orphan?
PIRATES:  (disgusted)  Oh, dash it all!
KING:     Here we are again!
GENERAL:  I ask  you, have you ever known what it is to be an
orphan?
KING:     Often!
GENERAL:  Yes, orphan.   Have you ever known what it is to be one?
KING:     I  say, often.
ALL:      (disgusted)  Often,  often, often.  (Turning away)
GENERAL:  I don't think we quite  understand one another.  I ask
you, have you ever  known what it is to be an orphan,
and you say "orphan".  As I understand you, you are
merely repeating the  word "orphan" to show that you
understand me.
KING:     I didn't repeat the word often.
GENERAL:  Pardon me, you did indeed.
KING:      I only repeated it once.
GENERAL:  True, but you repeated it.
KING:     But not often.
GENERAL:  Stop!   I think I see where we are getting confused.
When you said  "orphan", did you mean "orphan",a person
who has lost his  parents, or "often", frequently?
KING:     Ah! I eg  pardon-  I see what you mean -- frequently.
GENERAL:  Ah! you said  "often", frequently.
KING:     No, only once.
GENERAL:  (irritated)  Exactly-  you said "often",  frequently,
only  once.