[lit-ideas] Original and Translation: The Borges Paradox

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 12:12:40 EDT

In a message dated 5/7/2004 2:43:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,
teme17@xxxxxxxxx writes:
often the
translations were of considerably higher quality than
the originals.
-----
Mmm. This reminds me of Borges,

  "All the foregoing books I read in English.
  When later I read _Don Quixote_ in the original, it
  sounded like a bad translation to me."
               ('Autobiographical Essay').

My favourite case is Rubbayat by E. Fitzgerald -- a great improvement on the
original Persian (at least that's what Geary thinks -- that it's from the
Persian).

Cheers,

JL