[lit-ideas] Re: One step closer to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

  • From: Erin Holder <erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:47:32 -0400

Beats me.  I'm not fully awake yet.

Erin
Toronto

(I requested graduation this morning, hurrah!)

Quoting JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx:

It would indeed be "pretty hype". Unfortunately I have only the info the
article disclosed ...not being an engineer... you might ask ...um....Mike?
(Re. installing gas stations across the ocean not only would it be a VERY bad
idea, but I think undoable?

Julie Krueger
clueless but interested

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: One step closer
to Chitty Chitty Bang  Bang  Date: 10/18/2006 7:32:04 A.M. Central Standard
Time  From: _erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
Hm, how far can you go with it? E.g. if we were to  install gas
stations on the ocean (a very bad idea, I might add),  could one drive
across an ocean with it?  That'd be pretty  hype.

Erin
Toronto

Quoting JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx:

        (http://ads.web.aol.com/link/93102604/aol) Okay,  how cool  is
this?   And I thought I wanted a Hummer....!   (http://www.cnn.com/)
 (javascript:void(printArticle());)
    _Aquatic  car  drives with 'oooomph' - CNN.com_
 (http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/10/17/amphibious.car.ap/index.html)
   (javascript:void(printArticle());)

Aquatic car drives with 'oooomph'

RIDGELAND, South Carolina (AP) -- It's not terribly easy to parallel park
an
 automobile on a lake.
Now, John Giljam knows this to be as true as the  highway is long, and  for
good reason: He's tried to park his car  on a lake -- and on rivers,
 ponds, even
the  Intracoastal Waterway.
Giljam, in fact, has practiced not only parking  on water; he's become
quite
adept at turning sharply on it. (He no longer gets drenched in a curtain
of
spume when cornering, he'll  have you know.) And he's mastered  the art of
steering clear of  critters -- geese, mostly, though gators have  a habit of
surfacing  at inopportune moments.
It helps, of course, to learn these aquatic  feats behind the wheel of  his
latest creation, the "Hydra Spyder,"  an amphibious car that cruises
on  H2O as
 easily as it does on blacktop.
With its snazzy snout, convertible top,  Corvette V8 engine and jet
"impeller" -- the stainless-steel cone  protruding from the rear that
  propels it
 through water -- the Hydra Spyder is poised to become the   first,
mass-produced
amphibious automobile in  America.
"It's incredibly nimble in the water. The Spyder turns  smoothly, docks
easily," the 46-year-old inventor boasts.
It has  one shortcoming, he concedes. On the water, "the parallel  parking
 really sucks."
Giljam tingles at the idea of anglers taking their cars  out on lakes  for a
day of fishing; of rush-hour commuters  bypassing congestion by
taking a river
as an  alternate route; of water-skiers bouncing along in  the wake of a
 speedboat with four wheels.
"I honestly feel I've been born with a gift,  and it was for creating
mechanical things," he says. "It's what keeps me  up at night."
Ten years ago, Giljam operated a Jet Ski rental company on  Hilton Head
Island. Business was brisk, he recalls, but one day two  customers
crashed  into
each other. Though  they weren't hurt seriously, he shut the business
   down, he
says. "I would not be able to function if something I owned  and
operated hurt
somebody."
Which then  got him to thinking: Could an aquatic vehicle be designed to  be
 fast and safe?
By 39, he had invented -- and patented -- the world's  first unsinkable  bus
and the world's first aquatic, luxury RV.  Producing amphibious cars
on  a grand
scale  would be, as he sees it, a "logical" new endeavor.
Washout
His  Hydra Spyder is not the first of its kind to crawl ashore.   Civilian,
amphibious vehicles have been around for more than a  century,  and European
manufacturers have long dominated the  trade.
Yet, while some models have been able to raise dust on a  highway,  nearly
all
have been agonizingly slow in the wet, where  wheels create  drag. One
well-known washout was the "Amphicar,"  which was mass-produced  in
Germany from 1961
 to 1968. On roadways, the Amphicar got up to 70 miles  per hour but
 disappointed in the water, mustering a dash speed of just 7  miles per
hour.
In the mid-1990s, Alan Gibbs, a New Zealand  inventor-entrepreneur,  founded
Gibbs Technologies, of Nuneaton,  England, with the aim of
developing the first
 high-speed amphibious car. (Gibbs had a 194-foot  yacht, which he  enjoyed
outfitting with aquatic "toys" -- meaning anything  from a  Jet Ski to a
submarine.)
In 2003, after seven years of work with  70 British engineers and
designers,
Gibbs launched "Aquada," an  amphibious sports car, a la 007,  with
 retractable
wheels and a jet drive that propelled it along water at  a  maximum speed of
32.8 miles per hour.
To the acclaim of  the British media, it made its test-run at London's
Docklands, scene of  a high-speed boat chase in the James Bond film
"The   World Is
Not Enough." Not long thereafter, the Aquada made the  Guinness  Book
 of Records
for the fastest  crossing of the English Channel by an  amphibious vehicle.
(Sir  Richard Branson, founder of Virgin Atlantic,  planed across in
1 hour, 40
minutes and 6 seconds.)
At the time,  Giljam's company, Cool Amphibious Manufacturers  International
LLC,  which he founded with his wife, Julie, in 1999, was  turning out
 amphibious buses, a dozen or so a year, at a factory in   Rochester,
N.Y. (Tour
operators are the Giljams'  main clients; eight  "Hydra Terras" are
currently  in
operation in New York City.)
The Aquada's big splash threw  Giljam into creative overdrive. "I  suppose,"
he told a reporter  once, "we just wanted to answer the Brits."  The
amphibian
he envisioned would have to be faster, tougher, and more economical than
the
Aquada, which retailed for $300,000.
And unsinkable.  "Safety," says Giljam, a 12-year veteran of a rescue  squad
in his  native Lakeville, New York, "means everything to me."
And so, he took to  the drawing board.
History in the making
Today, the factory  doesn't look like much from Interstate 95: a
sand-colored,  corrugated-roof structure on an 11-acre wedge of
 property  covered in
knee-high weeds and hemmed in by overgrown  live oaks.
On the floor of this 20,000-square-foot building, though,  amphibian
history
is in the making.
Near the far corner,  the lemon-yellow, fiberglass body agleam, sits a
Hydra
Spyder --  the prototype, actually. It sold last November -- for  $175,000.
 "This gentleman was insistent," says Julie, "and we needed the  cash
 for the new
plant."
A non-disclosure agreement  protects the identity of the buyer, one of  the
wealthiest men in  America -- a "Forbes Top-50 kinda guy," Giljam says  --
and
from the West Coast, who took delivery before the Giljams could test it
at a
motor speedway.
They did test the prototype in the  water.
One afternoon, moments after rolling the Hydra Spyder smoothly  off a  dock
in
Bluffton, South Carolina, John Giljam remembers how  "a lady came  running
pell-mell down the dock, screaming: 'Don't  worry! We've called  911! The
fire
department is on its  way!"'
John and Julie tried to explain what an amphibious vehicle was,  even  took
the woman for a spin around the lake. Still, her  expression seemed
clouded as
she walked away from  the dock, muttering.
The Hydra Spyder "has that effect sometimes,"  Giljam shrugs.
On this day, the mystery tycoon's Hydra Spyder is back in  the shop for
adjustments: a new, 502 CID Chevy Race Engine that will  boost
horsepower  from 400
to 500 -- one step  below dragstrip capability -- and new,
heavy-duty  mufflers
to subdue the motor's roar.
"Apparently," Giljam  explains, "it was hard to hold a conversation with
the
engine  running."
In an adjacent pod, welders and mechanics are handcrafting  the
marine-grade,
aluminum hull of Hydra Spyder No. 2, which will have a racing
transmission,
"super chargers," and other  high-performance  features.
These help provide what Giljam calls  "oooomph" -- which is something
aquatic
racers most desire after  plowing their cars into a body of  water.
To switch the Hydra  Spyder into "marine mode," the driver simply  presses a
button,  which drops the clutch, disengages the road drive,  shifts the
 transmission into aquatic duty, and retracts the wheels. The
jet-drive kicks in then,
allowing the Hydra Spyder to plane  across water  like a speedboat at
greater
than 50 mph.
 Oooomph does come at a cost: Base price is $155,000 -- to which can be
added
all kinds of extras, including heated seats ($1,000), a custom
entertainment
system for in-Spyder cinema ($5,000), Lamborghini door systems ($2,000),
and
teak interior trim  ($1,500).
And though not intended for use on open seas, this amphibian  can be  fitted
with a fishfinder.
So, even as Detroit  automakers struggle to survive, the future looks
bright
for Cool  Amphibious Manufacturers. The Giljams have 6 orders for  Hydra
 Spyders. Within five years, they hope to expand their new factory
and produce 75
Hydra Spyders a year.
Their top  competitor, Gibbs Technologies, for the time being at least,  has
 withdrawn from the amphibian automobile market. Steve Bailey, a Gibbs
 spokesman, says the company made 50 Aquadas, then stopped in 2005
because  the engines
used were discontinued when their  maker went bankrupt.
"We are looking for an alternative engine to bring  the Aquada back to
market
again," Bailey says. Still, he says, Gibbs Technologies doesn't plan to
get
in a dogfight with the  Giljams.
"We'll be looking to license the technology out this time to  other
companies
that might be interested in producing their own vehicles," he says. "We
are
a technology development  company."
Which means the Giljams can focus on improvements to  performance and
safety.
As it is now, all cavities in the Hydra  Spyder's "hull" are packed with
flotation foam, approved by the U.S.  Coast Guard. "You could flood
the  motor,
 knock a 12-inch hole in the Spyder's bottom, and still it would   float."
And, for the record, how good is it on gas?
On land,  somewhere around 16 to 18 miles per gallon of premium gas.  (This
 amphibian can also run on an ethanol mix without modifications.) Not   too
shabby, Giljam says, for a 3,400-pound vehicle that is 18.6  feet
long  and a foot
wider than the average  landlocked car.
He adds: "When you put it in the water, you burn a lot  more fuel and  the
odometer doesn't move. Tires don't rotate in the  water, you know."
Which, perhaps, is why Julie Giljam always reminds  customers: "Before  you
go
into the water, fill her up."
 Copyright 2006 The _Associated Press_
 (http://www.cnn.com/interactive_legal.html#AP) . All rights
 reserved.This  material may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten,  or   redistributed.

-- Erin

-- Erin