[lit-ideas] "One of the two most important living philosophers" (Is: Habermas)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 08:05:37 EDT

In a message dated 6/28/2004 7:17:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>  > He is one of the two most important living philosophers.

Who is  the other perchance? And how is this decided?

The other is ... Heidegger? I read from Grice, "Logic and  Conversation":

"In the ordinary sense of the word,  'assertion' is
       quite a specific speech-act. To assert  is (approximately)
       to make a claim. If I say, 'Heidegger  is the greatest
       living philosopher,' I have certainly  made an
       assertion (on the assumption, at  least, that I can
       expect you to take me seriously); but  if I draw
       your attention to the presence of a  robin by
       saying, 'There is a robin', or tell  you that
       'I have a headache', or comment that  'The weather
       is cold for the time of year,' it is  in the first two
       cases false and in the third case  doubtful whether,
       properly speaking, I have made an  assertion."
                       Grice, 'Logic and Conversation',
                      Studies  in the Way of Words, 1989, p. 18

(argument against Searle on the nature of assertion). McEvoy may protest
that Heidegger was _dead_ by 1989, but that is neither here nor there: it was
not when Grice's claim was made, in 1967. Anyway, perhaps it's Apel, then?

Back to "p & p", "p & q", I wonder why the order of adjectives  makes a
difference,

    (1) He is one of the two most important living  philosophers
    (2) He is one of the two living most important  philosophers
    (3) He is one of the two, most important, living,  philosophers
                [as opposed to the most important dead]

Cheers,

JL