[lit-ideas] Re: One Plus One equals Russia

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:52:22 -0700

Eric posted:

A) >shows that "Saddam was a
> significant enemy of the United States."

and

B) >did not prove Saddam Hussein
> played a role in any way in plotting the attacks of September 11, 2001.

ck: I'm experiencing a wave of deja vue. We've been here before, have we
not? There is not causal link between statement "A" and statement "B."
That's the point. Many countries are enemies of the US, in differing degrees
and for different purposes. The US doesn't invade them all, as we've been
noting for the past few years. Nor does the US invade countries whose
leaders or citizens have spoken with members of Al Qaeda. If that were the
case, the US would be sworn enemies with the Saudis. Instead, Bush has
cozied up with them throughout his life. The US, selling arms throughout the
world, is either directly or indirectly responsible for the arms Al Qaeda
possesses, except for the kitchen knives, Swiss Army knives, and fizzled
shoe bombs.

Hell. This is old stuff, no matter who's speaking it, leftist schmeftist.
But by now, the 9/11 attack and the genesis of America's invasion of Iraq
fade in comparison to an ongoing war--a chronic war--in which more than
30,000 people have been killed. The number of American soldiers killed in
that war is about even with the victims of 9/11. How many more thousand
bodies will justify America's catastrophic 'retribution' response? When will
the blood lust be satisfied?

Carol