[lit-ideas] Re: One Plus One equals Russia

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 09:25:32 -0400

ck: In Eric's terms, though, the war is justified as retalitation for 9/11--"blood lust," or, to recall a familiar, stupid refrain from that time, "We've got to do SOMETHING!" No, we did not.

Disagree. We did have to do something...years before 9/11. It didn't have to be Iraq.

Retaliation doesn't merely mean punishment. Not merely blind brute punishment. Threat of retaliation serves as a coercive means to maintain order. Effective retaliation eliminates an enemy's potential for future attacks. That we didn't effectively counter Bin Laden much earlier...made the 9/11 attacks possible.

But forget retaliation. If Clinton and Sandy Berger had even realized Bin Laden's significance in 1996, the Sudanese would have allowed us to extradite him. Again, we did have to do something...and our current situation derives from Clinton's prior failure to act combined with the Bushistas' various mistakes.