[lit-ideas] Re: One Damn Thing After Another

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 10:49:54 -0700

Christopher Dawson on page 16 of The Making of Europe, writes,

". . . it is not the 'easy' periods of history that are the most worth
studying.  One of the great merits of history is that it takes us out of
ourselves -- away from obvious and accepted facts -- and discovers a reality
that would otherwise be unknown to us.  There is a real value in steeping
our minds in an age entirely different to that which we know: a world
different, but no less real -- indeed more real, for what we call 'the
modern world' is the world of a generation, while a culture like that of the
Byzantine or the Carolingian world has a life of centuries."

Lawrence