[lit-ideas] Re: On various plants

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 07:33:09 +0200
On 22 Apr 2014, at 07:39, David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ...] I do like the sound of the few-flowered leek, but an invasive species...

The Royal Horticultural Society helps put the term 'invasive species' in
perspective:

"The alien invasion myth"

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Features/Invasive-species

Yes, there is real damage done to ecosystems by irresponsible gardening
practices. If you're not sure about introducing a 'non-native' plant to your
garden (especially if there is a chance of it 'escaping' into areas beyond your
control), check with a local botanical or agricultural institution.

Here's what is probably one of the world's least 'invasive' plants, the Titan
Arum (Amorphophallus titanum).  It has recently flowered (again - after only 2
years!) at the botanical garden here in Kiel.  I definitely wouldn't recommend
one for your house plant collection - under the heading 'Known hazards', Kew
Gardens writes, "Emits a nauseating smell on flowering" (to which I can attest):

http://www.kew.org/science-conservation/plants-fungi/amorphophallus-titanum-titan-arum

Here's a YouTube video of the search for a Titan Arum in the rain forests of
Sumatra (under 'Top Comments' you can read the ridiculous 'Looks massively
invasive"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sMMWylnqlY

And here's a time lapse film of the Titan Arum blooming in Kiel over the Easter
weekend:

http://www.uni-kiel.de/nickol/Garten/TitanwurzKiel2014.mpeg

Chris Bruce,
making his film debut on Lit-Ideas (I'm one of those streaming
past in the upper left-hand corner on Easter Sunday evening), in
Kiel, Germany