[lit-ideas] Re: On transparancy

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 20:44:33 -0500

Lawrence Helm wrote:

A while back we spoke about the lack of transparency on Lit Ideas. People held back and preferred to hide. They posted photos anonymously.

. . . .

Lawrence, cocked and locked

No wonder lurkers are afraid to unmask! Those of us who engage in "healthy" debate may forget that there are a LOT of other people who may be quite happy and productive even when not posting a single word. I'm not that vocal here, in part because it doesn't seem to help anybody for me to say things I've seen others say, or things I don't think will be very well received or will further the thinking of the members of the list.

Would we rather have some people take a first step toward engagement by emerging only partly from "full lurker" to "full public poster" or would we rather have lurkers stay completely silent?

In addition to all of this: I suspect that we would all be very surprised if we met all the people on the list face to face. We all have "personna" here that may not be who we "really" are, but we aren't even aware of how much posing we do.