[lit-ideas] Re: On thinking synonymously

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 15:48:40 -0800

On Dec 1, 2006, at 8:41 PM, Robert Paul wrote:
toss out
another observation: the students in my recent experience are one or maybe two
academic generations down from that which learned that there was never,
really,
any fact of the matter; that the exploitation of Sherpas was the most
important
thing to be learned from studying the history of Himalyan climbs, and so on.

Those from the earlier generations (in Academia) who were somehow liberated by
the thought that there could be no fact of the matter, are now in some
departments the teachers, for better or worse, of the students I've just described. I'd give some particular examples of student dissatisfaction with, or at least restlessness in the face of, the notion that because views are diverse, 'argument leads to offense,' but these posts are open to the world,
and prudence counsels that I not.

Look again at the experiences that led me to write and you'll see, I think, we are tip-toeing on the same ground. "Young" was not a reference to students.

But thank you for the encouraging thoughts.

Let us trust the future will turn out well.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon