[lit-ideas] Re: On the reassessment of Civil War generals, e.g. General Hood

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 06:10:36 -0700

Omar,

Your desire for a “clearer post” isn’t clear.  Do you mean clearer posts
(plural) in which case a broader presentation of the American Civil War might
be in order?  Or do you mean this particular post isn’t clear?

Assuming the latter, in the post below I am critical of historians who
criticize the various civil war generals for not knowing matters that were in
those days extremely difficult to know.  For example, where is the enemy?  In
the modern U.S. we went from Gary Powers U2 spy plane which was shot down over
Russia to unmanned drones and satellites which can see almost anything an army
wants to see.  But in the American Civil War (1861-1865) they had to get by
with a lot of guessing.  Sometimes they got useful information from spies,
civilians and enemy deserters (who were sometimes sent to an opposing army to
supply false information), but the best information came from the cavalry and
the South had better cavalry units than the North until late in the war.

CSA Cavalry General Nathan Bedford Forrest was the very best, and when he was
relied upon the South had an “intelligence” advantage.  He would ride out with
2,000 to 3,000 troops and capture the Union’s pickets and take them back to be
interrogated.  He would engage in skirmishes with the Union’s cavalry or even
its infantry to test how strong it was and whether the Union army was there in
force.  Then he would ride back and report.

But neither the Union nor Confederate forces used cavalry solely for
intelligence purposes.  They might beef up a cavalry unit and have it harry the
enemy or alarm him into thinking an attack was happening where it wasn’t.  When
a cavalry unit was doing that it wasn’t supplying intelligence.  Also, cavalry
reports were sometimes wrong so generals might be forgiven for doubting
information they received.  In General Hood’s case he has been faulted for
doubting reports coming from Forrest that turned out to be true.  Also, he
sometimes split Forrest’s forces and used them to support infantry rather than
letting Forrest keep his unit in tact to provide intelligence and harry the
enemy.

Interestingly, spy balloons were used by both the North and the South in the
Civil War.  They weren’t very successful but the idea intrigued Ferdinand Von
Zeppelin who came over here to see them in action.  He was apparently more
impressed with the historians who later wrote about them.

Also, in defense of generals on both sides, President Lincoln in Washington and
President Davis in Richmond issued orders that were not always sound from a
military standpoint.  One of the very best generals the North had was General
George Thomas who was almost fired for not moving quickly enough against
General Hoods forces.   In retrospect and with the information we have today we
can see that Thomas was planning a nearly perfect attack.  His plans couldn’t
be improved upon but Lincoln and not just Lincoln but Grant himself thought
Thomas was moving too slowly and almost replaced him.  It was the battle that
Thomas planned and carried out that destroyed General Hood’s army.  His army
was routed and Hood himself resigned and never fought again.

Lawrence