[lit-ideas] Re: On the prospect of World Peace

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 08:08:13 -0700

Gad, Andreas, you and Irene . . . You say "Here is a central passage, which
I originally pointed out to Lawrence several months ago:" [and which I
discussed in my previous note which you obviously didn't read]:

"The end of history would mean the end of wars and bloody revolutions.
Agreeing on ends, men would have no large causes for which to fight.  They
would satisfy their needs through economic activity, but they would no
longer have to risk their lives in battle.  They would, in other words,
become animals again, as they were before the bloody battle that began
history.  A dog is content to sleep in the sun all day provided he is fed,
because he is not dissatisfied with what he is.  He does not worry that
other dogs are doing better than him, or that his career as a dog has
stagnated, or that dogs are being oppressed in a distant part of the world
If man reaches a society in which he has succeeded in abolishing injustice,
his life will come to resemble that of the dog."

Fukuyama is here representing Nietzsche's & Kojeve's position and not his
own.  The paragraph at the bottom of page 310 that provides the context for
the paragraph Andreas quotes begins, "Alexandre Kojeve shared Tocqueville's
belief in the inevitability of modern democracy, even as he too understood
its cost in similar terms.  Fukuyama then quotes a passage from Kojeve and
provides footnote 18 which reference's Kojeve's work.  Fukuyama is not
representing his own point of view but Nietzsche's and Kojeve's.  He goes on
describing it and at the end of this chapter, on page 312, he writes, "When
Nietzsche's Zarathrustra told the crowd about the last man, a clamor arose:
"Give us this last man, O Zarathustra!' 'Turn us into these last men!' they
shouted.  The life of the last man is one of physical security and material
plenty, precisely what Western politicians are fond of promising their
electorates.  Is this really what the human story has been 'all about' these
past few millennia?  Should we fear that we will be both happy and satisfied
with our situation, no longer human beings but animals of the genus homo
sapiens?  Or is the danger that we will be happy on one level, but still
dis-satisfied with ourselves on another, and hence ready to drag the world
back into history with all its wars, injustice, and revolution?"

Fukuyama considers Kojeve's and Nietzsche's views and asks whether they are
likely to come to pass.  He then answers his question in the next chapter,
Chapter 29 which begins on page 313 with, "It is difficult for those of us
who believe in liberal democracy to follow Nietzsche very far down the road
he takes.  He was an open opponent of democracy and of the rationality on
which he rested."   It is safe to say that Fukuyama rejects the passage that
Andreas quotes.  That passage does not represent Fukuyama's point of view.

Once we put Andreas "critical passage" into perspective we see what it is
that Fukuyama is saying and what he isn't saying.  Were he to embrace what
Andreas implies he would be known as a Nietzschean rather than a Hegelian.

As to the rest of Andreas comments, which given the above would add Bush and
Cheney to the followers of Nietzsche and which waxes weird against the
Neocons, against defending ourselves, against Rogue attacks prior to the end
of history, the less said the better.

But note Andreas last sentence "Lawrence wants me to believe that he is a
liberal and a pacifist, yet at the same time, he accuses me of being... a
liberal and pacifist."  I once again marvel at the twisted thought processes
that Andreas seems cursed with.  I have regularly opposed pacifism.  I have
written countless notes against pacifism.  I reject pacifism.  The only
thing that even remotely suggests itself is that in challenging the
pacifists to accept an approach that would lead to world peace, he assumed I
was in someway thinking I couldn't accept ultimate world peace at the end of
history without becoming a pacifist.  Ah, I feel another headache coming on.
Well, no, Andreas if that is what you think.  The end of history will not be
achieved without defending ourselves against The Rogues, the Dictators, the
megalomaniacs functioning in societies which give no other scope to their
megalothymos.

Fukuyama's views and Huntington's are opposed.  Only one of these viewpoints
will ultimately prove to be accurate.  Which is it?  Alas it is too soon to
tell.  Huntington's at present seems more descriptive in that we are
presently clashing with the Islamic Civilization.  On the other hand,
Fukuyama considered such clashes and said they would recede as more and more
nations embraced Liberal Democracy.

Lawrence