[lit-ideas] Re: On the prospect of World Peace

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 14:53:43 -0500

PE:

Furthermore, I doubt the Skipper would want to be lumped into the same
category as me.

Aw, shucks, Phil, I'm willing to be lumped in the same category as you any day. Like you, I'm no true pacifist, more like a tactical one, I think that's safe to say, I guess. I probably would have fought in WW II, but I doubt in any before and definitely not any after. I applied for CO status during Vietnam, and the Draft Board said OK, we won't make you fight, but you will have to go to the front lines without a rifle. Medic! I think not, I said, and started teaching for a deferment. I probably did more damage as a teacher than I could ever have done as a soldier -- so much for my conscience. I know 4 guys who went to prison rather than serve in Vietnam. One guy even called up the Draft Board and told them to come get him because he wasn't going. Jeez Louise, at least make them find you, I said. Those guys were true pacifists. I salute them.

Skipper
USS Minnow

----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>