[lit-ideas] "On the Mat": Unexpurgated Memoirs of a Personal Trainer

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 15:40:50 EDT

The Unexpurgated Journal of a Personal  Trainer,

1993 N.Y. Times Mag. 27 June 16/2,
I have lived what a friend called the California  Cliché: I fell in love with
my personal  trainer.

>>"Human being"
>
>I don't understand what you mean. I'm not trained as a  philosopher.

                    Geary.

<NOBR>He is puzzled, though, how _two_ breasts can train with a

<NOBR>Geary: I need a first phrase for the subject line: "The unexpurgated
journal of a personal trainer". It needs something short and catchy, but can't
think of it. So it goes: "xxxx": The unexpurgated, etc. Any suggestion, you
or  o

<NOBR>-- More quotes below. Perhaps the most controversial (if boring one)
is regarding M

<
1879 J. T. ROGERS in Cassell's Techn. Educ. IV. 53/2

"It would be absurd to assign the genius of Mozart to  training."

J. Rogers, 1879.

However, when we read he wrote that for "Cassell's Technical  Education", we
may excuse his rhetorics.

Cfr.

1727 _GAY_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-g.html#gay)
Fables I. ix, Seek you to  train your fav'rite boy? Each caution,
ev'ry care employ.

1877 _E. R.  CONDER_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-c3.html#e-r-conder)
  Bas. Faith iii. 103 This  protracted pupilage..is
admirably calculated to train and perfect his moral  character.

This would irritate Kramer. Lawyers (if not esquires) are _trained_, never
*educated*:

1680 _BEVERIDGE_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-b2.html#beveridge)
  Serm. (1729) I. 39 Such  advocates as had been trained
up in the civil  law.

1872 _J. F.  CLARKE_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-c2.html#j-f-clarke)
  Self-Culture i. (1880) 33  Animals can be trained
by man, but they cannot train themselves.

-- This idea was possibly adopted by the animistic Greeks. In his
three-volume _Paideia_ Jaeger expands on this (tr. by Highet for Harvard U P).
The
'pais' would indeed be unable to 'train' (but I fail to get the Greek for
this)
except by the aid of the 'paidagogue'.

Jaeger wants however to sublimate the thing and derogatorily puts it  that
'paideia' does not mean what it strictly _expresses_. "It was no mere
child-rearing".

But this quote from 1832 indicates that by then, human beings, as opposed  to
mere 'animals' were thought of being able to self-train (then why the present
 vogue for 'personal trainers' -- Is Suzanne Sommers stupid or what?):

1832 _S.  AUSTIN_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-a2.html#s-austin)
  tr. Pückler-Muskau's Tour of German Prince III. iv.
74, I kept race-horses myself, and had a Newmarket jockey for a  time in my
service... It amused me greatly to see this fellow ‘training’  himself.

cf.

1937 Daily  Tel. 15 Oct. 23/3 He..trained on into a  first-rate College  oar.

(but it's not clear if he did that without a _coach_. Usufferables as
Oxonians are he possibly didn't). Cfr. training groom:

1816 Sporting Mag. XLVIII. 172 The defendant, a *training-groom  to the Duke
of  Dorset.

For Byron it's the "Dorian" (Spartan) element of _ascesis_ that is  important:

1811 _BYRON_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-b4.html#byron)
Hints fr. Hor. 703 The youth who  trains to ride, or run a
race, Must bear  privations.

J. Krueger may or may not agree with this:

Calvin on Deut. c. 615
The feast of Tabernacles was a traynment to the people of  Israell.

cfr

1879 J. T.  ROGERS in Cassell's Techn. Educ. IV. 53/2  It would be absurd to
assign the genius of Mozart to  training.

Quotes for 'training college':

1829 Mod. [*Training College was in use in Ireland].

1882 _OGILVIE_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-o.html#ogilvie)
,
Normal school..a school in which teachers are  instructed in the principles
of their profession and trained in the practice of  it; a training-college.

1884  _S. E.  DAWSON_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-d.html#s-e-dawson)
  Handbk. Canada 211 A theological  training-college
for priests.

1901 Contemp. Rev. Mar. 361
For years the supply of teachers exceeded the demand; now it  is the other
way, or soon will be, and that is one of the factors in the  training college
problem.

Quotes for 'training school':

[1814 Brit.  & For. School Soc., Bye Laws, The school for  children at the
Borough Road, and the school for training of schoolmasters.]

1829 Kildare Place Soc., Rep., To  draw the attention of the public to these
*Training Schools.

1897  _GRENFELL_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-g2.html#grenfell)
  &  _HUNT_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-h4.html#hunt)
New Classical Fragm., etc. lxvii. 101 Aurelius
Asclepiades..agrees to hire from Aurelius Theon, the  keeper of a
training-school, probably at Arsinoe, the services of two  dancing-girls.

1905  First Ann. Rep. N.Y. State Training School for Girls 4
The Penal Code was amended..so as to authorize the  commitment of delinquent
girls under the age of sixteen..to the New York State  Training School for
Girls.

1978 Globe & Mail (Toronto) 11 Jan. 7/3 If training schools are closed, then
some group homes will have  to have a custodial aspect.

JLS