[lit-ideas] On the Just and the Unjust

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 18:46:07 -0700

Today Oregon's reputation for wetness was once more renewed.  Absolutely
tipping down.  It occurred to me--you may possibly be right... could be gloom
brought on by the weather--to ask when exactly it was that our house telephone
became the sole domain of the recorded caller, the sales pitcher, the
just-a-few-questions-about-your-views scripted chat-room chum?  It's rare
nowadays that I pick up and talk to someone I know.  Those people text, e mail,
call my cell.  No doubt it's the same with you.

Second thought: why is it that my computer offers me updates of programs I
don't use and not updates for those that I do?  Safari is currently about as
well supported as several commuter bridges in New Jersey, but does Apple send
brill new bytes along?  It does not.  Maybe I should call...  "Good day to you
Mr. Apple, this is Vivek speaking.  May I have the pleasure of inquiring about
your supporting services?"

I picked up a book at the library book sale and so can aver that Dave Barry is
still funny.  "Justin Bieber was preceded by two lesser hearthrobs.  You could
tell they ranked below Justin because they had fewer backup dancers.  Your
modern singing star does not go to the bathroom without backup dancers.  Your
modern musical concert consists of the singer prancing from one side of the
stage to the other accompanied by a clot of dancers, everybody frantically
performing synchronized dance moves and pelvic thrusts, looking like people
having sex with invisible partners while being pursued by bees."

Also funny and also from the same source, Alec Guinness, "My Name Escapes Me."
I particularly liked the tale of an actor playing Macbeth who, feeling the need
for a drink, stepped out.   He reasoned he would have time for a swift pint
while Lady MacB did her thing.  One thing led to another and he failed to
return on time.  Came his cue...nothing.  The stage manager steps out and
announces, "That's where the play ends, boys and girls."  So out into the
British fog they file, where they encounter, coming at them through the fog,  a
wild Scottish king in full make-up, singing.  When I told J. the tale she
reminded me of another anecdote--can't recall who the principals were--in which
two West End actors go drinking and then decide to take in a play.  One nudges
the other, "Good, isn't it?  This is where I come on."

Carry on, with (if appropriate) broken leg,

David Ritchie,
Portland,