[lit-ideas] Re: On linguistic and genetic uncertainty

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 23:34:40 +0200

I don't see what there is about the say-distinction that cannot be said but
only shown. "Statements say and pictures show" is a statement, not a
picture. It is not something unsayable in our language either, instead it
is a platitude. Now, is true that pictures can also 'say' in a way, and
statements can also 'show', in a way. But I cannot see statements that
'show but do not say', any more than I can understand pictures that 'say
but do not show.' I conclude that Wittgenstein had a few too much to drink
when he wrote that, and Donal had a few much too much when he paraphrased
it.

O.K.